Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rising Waters

A week of rain, rain, and way more rain has given me a break from work.  I am currently reading a chapter of the Bible a day and reading a great blog by Pastor Dan Spencer that accompanies it.  It is really a blessing to me!  

Some of the first chapters we read were the story of Noah, his Ark, and his descendants.  I have gotten another, real life, reminder of Noah this week.  To say East Tennessee is receiving a lot of rain is an understatement.  The Weather Channel reports 1.87 inches of rain on Tuesday with a month to date total of 6.98 inches.  The average for January is 4.08.  

Back in the fall I was perusing a Lifeway catalog and noticed an interesting book, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.  I downloaded a sample on my Kindle that day and quickly decided to purchase it.  It was so worth the $7.50!  It feels like Jesus is talking to me each morning when I read it!  From January 15,

"You are surrounded by a sea of problems, but you are face to Face with me, your Peace.  As long as you focus on Me, you are safe.  If you gaze too long at the myriad problems around you, you will sink under the weight of your burdens.... Circumstances around you are undulating, and there are treacherous looking waves in the distance.  Fix your eyes on Me, the One who never changes... I am always beside you, helping you face today's waves.  The future is a phantom, seeking to spook you.  Laugh at the future!  Stay close to Me."
Philippians 4:7 NIV And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 14:30-31 NIV  Then Peter got out of the boat, walked on water and came toward Jesus.  But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, cried out, Lord, save me!  Immediately, Jesus reached out His hand and caught him."You of little faith," He said, "why did you doubt?"

Like Peter, that's when I get in trouble.  When I take my eyes of Jesus.  And like Jesus reached out His hand to Peter, He reaches out His hand to me.  Peter couldn't walk on water on his own.  I can't do all the things I try to do in my own power either.  

Jesus waits for me to call out to Him in prayer so I won't make the mistake of thinking I did it in my own power.  


3 comments:

  1. I will be talking to a client in Tennessee today who will also love this post. I will gladly share it with him....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't there a song by Audio Adrenaline about this theme? Peter is always such a great representative for me. Passionate like crazy and also... gets himself in trouble a lot.

    :~)

    I'm from the Ultimate Blog Challenge - I am glad I visited today!

    My Day 16 UBC post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an encouraging post! Thanks so much! Hope you manage ok with all that extra rainfall. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete