Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Prayer Life

It is very unlike me to comment publicly on my spiritual life, especially in detail. I have been a born again Christian since I was 12 years old. I don't stay quiet on my spiritual life out of shame or anything like that. I don't want to run my big mouth because my behavior isn't always becoming of a Christian. But it's time to watch and improve the behavior and talk openly about my beliefs.

Not long ago I read some of my old journals. One time period that stood out was 2001. I was reading The Prayer of Jabez. The other big thing that happened during the summer is the inception of my bilingual life. Those early days were so basic- I began using the Spanish that I was paying UT to teach me. I used Spanish to communicate with a Mexican-American brother and sister who did not speak any English. I started with the easy stuff- Me gusta leer. Me gusta el pollo. Te gusta pizza? Slowly but surely my Spanish improved with practice. I decided to major in Spanish. I developed what I believe is an unusual gift for a gringa. I believe that my ability to speak Spanish is an answer to my Prayer of Jabez.

I give all of this background information
because it's time for me to starting praying Jabez's prayer again. Bruce Wilkinson published his book in April 2000 and it was the hot Christian book at the time. It's passed its heyday, but I plan to revisit the short book to supplement the quick, powerful prayer that I comes quickly to mind.

(Since it isn't politically correct, I'm gonna whisper. The other prayer initiative I've undertaken is praying for my students.)


No comments:

Post a Comment